With an increased focus on energy efficiency and sustainable solutions, highly rated windows are now invariably specified and new products and practices need to comply with standards such as SANS 10400-XA and SANS 204, which stipulate the maximum permissible air leakage for windows and doors.
The problem of uncontrolled air leakage via facade or fenestration results in heat loss and gain, thus significantly reducing the energy performance of the building. To ensure compliancy, FG Trading, in partnership with Tremco illbruck, offers a range of products for the perimeter sealing of windows complemented by high-quality installation.
The state-of-the-art i3 window sealing system keeps weather out, whilst securing comfort inside and energy savings. It incorporates a choice of products to effectively seal on three levels: Weather-tight externally (but vapour-permeable), air-tight internally, with a thermal and acoustic insulation layer in-between.
A typical example of the i3 system comprises of:
- External seal: TP600 Compriband 600 is a flexible polyurethane foam, impregnated with an acrylic-based, ultraviolet (UV)-stabilised resin, which forms a vapour-permeable external weathertight seal.
- Intermediate seal: FM230 Pro Foam Window is a one-component, moisture-curing polyurethane expanding foam, which insulates and affords improved thermal and acoustic performance.
- Internal seal: ME500 Duo Flexible Window Membrane comprises polyethylene co-polymer film with non-woven fleece fabric to create an airtight installation.
ME500 Duo Flexible Window Membrane can also be applied externally as a weathertight perimeter seal provided that the product will not be exposed to UV for longer than two weeks or if the exposed face can be protected temporarily until covered. ME501 Duo Window Membrane HD is recommended over ME500 for external application due to its higher strength and up to 12 months UV exposure capability prior to covering.
How it works
Proper sealing is an effective interaction of the external, intermediate and internal sealing levels based on the principle of “inside tighter than outside”. The illbruck i3 system further prohibits warm internal air penetrating the joint and forming condensation, a problem which can reduce thermal insulation, cause mould to form and damage to building components.
This innovative system conforms to the highest standard and will restrict air leakage to below 1m³/hr.m² @50Pa, ensuring compliance with Code Level 6 and Passive House standards.
The illbruck i3 system:
- Exceeds 600Pa driving rain tightness, per DIN EN 1027 and DIN 18542
- Effectively fills and insulates the window joint seal
- Is airtight to United Kingdom (UK) Building Regulations and DIN 18542 & DIN EN 1026
- Meets Passive House air tightness requirements
The i3 system and its individual components are BBA-approved and it comes with a ten-year guarantee for the performance of the joints.
By selecting appropriate products, various combinations can be created to suit the installation situation. This modern sealing technology provides a simple solution that aims to benefit building owners and occupants for years to come by providing long-term energy savings.
Source: Walls & Roofs, Journal 7, October/November 2017Read article on www.buildinganddecor.co.za